South Carolina is trying its best to find talent late in the game to replace some very talented individuals who have left the Gamecock program.
The Gamecocks will be without Damontre Harris and Anthony Gill after both decided they wanted to transfer from USC. They will also be without point guard Bruce Ellington the first half of the season as he is off playing football for the Gamecocks once again.
Frank Martin has his hands full.
PalmettoSports.com has some updates on recruits for the Gamecocks and here's a breakdown of what things look like at this time.
- Mindaugas Kacinas visited South Carolina on Wednesday for an official visit and could wind up being Frank Martin's first commitment here at USC. Kacinas was placed at Word of Life prep school by Martin and Kansas State and appears to have a great connection with Frank Martin. Kacinas is 6'8" and weighs 200 pounds and is originally from Lithuania. At this point, USC needs bodies and Kacinas could be one to replace the outgoing Harris and Gill. Word of a commitment could come any day now if he likes the city of Columbia and feels like it's a good fit.
- Sheldon Jeter has seen his stock rise lately and just completed an official visit to Vanderbilt. Jeter is looking at Penn State, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Penn State was at one time out front and it seems like a few other schools in his final four have also led or being favored at one time or another. His coach thinks he has a high ceiling. South Carolina could certainly use a guard like him.
- Willie Moore was a recent Duquesne signee but was released from his scholarship. Moore is now down to Virginia Tech and South Carolina. Moore has the capability of playing both point guard and shooting guard. USC could use some help in the backfield. Virginia Tech sounds tough to beat here but at least USC is near the top to land him. South Carolina has a lot to sell here.
- Tyrone Haughton hasn't been contacted by the new Gamecock staff yet. Haughton signed in November and has remained a Gamecock signee through the coaching change. He's a big, athletic player that could add to the front-court and work his way in the rotation. Hopefully Martin and staff will take some time and give Haughton a call.
- Thaddeus Hall visited with Matt Figger on Tuesday and it appears to have been a good visit. Hall will be taking the SAT soon and once that is done, he should be available to make official visits. The question will be if the staff still intends to recruit him in a month or so when's he able to visit.
South Carolina will need to replace a few of their top leading scorers next year with the graduation of Malik Cooke and the upcoming transfers of Gill and Harris. Can some of these recruits fill that void? It's certainly possible. They all look like solid options this late into the recruiting game for the upcoming season but give Martin and his staff credit for working hard right off the bat.
2012-2013 has the potential to be another tough year for the Gamecocks given their roster limitations but everyone should have faith in Frank Martin. He knows this is a challenge and things won't be perfect over night. If he's able to land a few of these players, which I expect him to do, then South Carolina should feel good about the direction of the program moving forward.
Hey, we've suffered for the past three years now. What's another season?