South Carolina has several former standout football players performing at this year's NFL Combine. The Combine is a place where hopes and dreams can be realized with some impressive numbers through a variety of workouts to help improve a player's draft stock leading up to the NFL draft.
This year, the Gamecocks are represented by seven Gamecocks at the NFL Combine - Justice Cunningham, DeVonte Holloman, T.J. Johnson, Marcus Lattimore, Ace Sanders, D.J. Swearinger and Devin Taylor - who have all seen their fair share of success during their time in Columbia.
Marcus Lattimore is the big name here but the star running back did not participate in drills due to recovery from knee surgery. However, this hasn't stopped him from being a focal point for team personnel and the media as he hopes to ease any concerns about his road to recovery and show he's ready to play in 2013.
With that said, let's recap some of the results thus far for the Gamecocks in this year's NFL Combine:
- Justice Cunningham, TE: Cunningham ran a 4.94 second 40-yard dash with a 31.5 inch vertical leap and 7.12 seconds in the three-cone drill. He was the top performer in the broad jump for his group with a 116.0 inch broad jump and ran a 4.45 second 20-yard shuttle. He checked in at 6'3" tall, weighing 258 pounds with 10 inch hands and 33 & 7/8 inches in arm length.
- DeVonte Holloman, OLB: Holloman only has listed 15 reps on the bench press on his NFL.com profile. Holloman checked in at 6'1" tall and weighing 243 pounds. His arm length was 32.5 inches long and his hands measured in at 10" long.
- T.J. Johnson, C: Johnson ran a 5.33 second 40-yard dash while he had 32 reps on the bench press. His vertical jump was 25.5 inches high and had a broad jump of 96.0 inches. His three-cone drill measured in a 7.83 second and had a 4.74 second 20-yard shuttle. Johnson measured in at 6'4" tall and weighing 310 pounds. His arm length was 33.5 inches long and his hands were 9.5 inches long.
- Marcus Lattimore, RB: Lattimore did not participate in any of the NFL Combine events due to recovery from knee surgery. Lattimore checked in at 5'11" tall and weighed 221 pounds. His arm length is 32.5 inches long and his hands measured in at 9 & 7/8 inches long.
- Ace Sanders, WR: Sanders ran a 4.58 second 40-yard dash and had seven reps on the bench press. His vertical leap checked in a 32.0 inches high and his broad jump was 117.0 inches long. His three-cone drill time was 6.81 seconds and he ran a 4.37 second in the 20-yard shuttle. He was the top performer in the 60-yard shuttle with 11.29 seconds. He measured in at 5'7" tall and weighed 173 pounds. His arm length is 29.5 inches long and his hands were 8 & 7/8 inches long.
- D.J. Swearinger, SS: Swearinger doesn't have any listed combine results on his NFL.com profile. Swearinger measured in at 5'10" tall and weighed 208 pounds. His arm length is 32 & 3/8 inches long and his hands were 9.5 inches long.
- Devin Taylor, DE: Taylor ran a 4.72 second 40-yard dash and had 14 reps on the bench press. He was the top performer in the vertical jump at 35.0 inches high and 128.0 inches in the broad jump. Taylor checked in at 6'7" tall and weighed 266 pounds. His arm length is 36 inches long and his hands measured in at 10 & 3/8 inches long.
The NFL Combine will continue through February 26th. South Carolina will hold its annual Pro Day on March 27th where these players, and more, will have their own personal workout in front of NFL scouts at Williams-Brice Stadium. All of this will lead up to the 2013 NFL Draft, which takes place April 25th through April 27th.
Good luck to these Gamecocks on their quest towards the next level.