Gamecock FB Recruiting: Recruiting Hot Takes - 11/13
All has been quiet on the recruiting front for the Gamecocks lately, but with Florida coming to town and the football season winding down, recruiting is expected to pick up here in the next few months.
Here are some recruiting hot takes for the Gamecocks:
- -- South Carolina got a scare this past weekend when JUCO DT Abu Lamin took an official visit to Tennessee. Lamin certainly came away impressed with the atmosphere in Knoxville but, luckily for the Gamecocks, he decided to shut it down a few days later and remain committed to South Carolina. He's a player at a position of need who will likely get a chance to fill Kelcy Quarles role in 2014 as Quarles is expected to head to the NFL early as a junior. Lamin will visit South Carolina for the Clemson/South Carolina game as he mentioned earlier Wednesday on a sports talk radio show in Columbia.
Lamin tells us that he plans come home (Fayetteville, NC) for Thanksgiving & attend the SCarolina/Clemson game Nov. 30th— William Gunter (@WillGunter247) November 13, 2013
- -- A new offer went out this week to a four-star receiver in the state of Virginia. Jamil Kamara, a 6-2, 211-pound receiver, picked up an offer from South Carolina and has already set up an official visit to the Gamecocks as he plans to attend the South Carolina/Clemson game on November 29th. Kamara is getting the push from Gamecocks defensive line coach Deke Adams with some help from Steve Spurrier Jr. Most experts had pegged Kamara as a Virginia lean but there is definitely some uncertainty with that program which has given Kamara the thought to look around at other schools. The Gamecocks already have two receivers committed but would certainly take a third if it's a talent like Kamara.
Going on an Official Visit to South Carolina Nov 29th when they play Clemson— Jamil Kamara (@JKamara1) November 13, 2013
- -- South Carolina will get a visit from 2014 RB recruit Derrell Scott this weekend. Scott will take his official visit to South Carolina and the Gamecocks are expected to impress. The Gamecocks have been the favorite for a long time with Scott and have constantly been in the top group while other schools have rotated in and out behind them. Scott has gone back and forth on when he would make a commitment but the Gamecocks may get him to "shut it down" this weekend and await a commitment a few weeks later. There should be good returns from Scott off of this weekend's visit.
- -- The Gamecocks have been looking into JUCO offensive lineman recently and found one at a place where there is a familiar face. This would be Kareem Are, the teammate of Abu Lamin. Are is a 2014 four-star JUCO recruit who has held an offer from Florida State but saw the Gamecocks jump into the mix with an offer. That offer has given Are something to think about and now he's planning on making official visits to both Florida State and South Carolina as well as Penn State. Are will visit Carolina during the USC/Clemson game on November 29th and could have a decision towards the end of the year. South Carolina will have some help here with Lamin in his ear so he's definitely someone worth watching.
- -- The Gamecocks are still after cornerbacks in this class after one-time commitment Wesley Green decommitted from the Gamecocks. South Carolina is still after Green as well as Chris Lammons and D.J. Smith. Georgia is making a push for Green and might be the favorites here but South Carolina still has some options in play.