South Carolina has done very well in the recruiting game so far in hopes of landing a top notch class in 2012.
However the recent news of Jay Graham and Ellis Johnson heading elsewhere could have some effects on USC's recruiting the rest of the way. It will take a lot of work from the Gamecock staff to be sure to ease the concerns of current commitments and the few remaining targets in the 2012 class and beyond.
Here's a few updates on the targets South Carolina has left for 2012 and one update on a 2013 recruit:
- Defensive end Jonathan Bullard was expected to announce his decision this week and most believed it would have been either Florida or Clemson. Well Bullard is having second thoughts on his decision and plans to delay an announcement till 2012. This could be good news for the Gamecocks as he may still have interest in USC and is conflicted on his decision. However, losing Ellis Johnson could hurt in the long run. The good thing though is there is still time to make an impression on Bullard when the dead period ends in recruiting. South Carolina still has an outside chance here.
- Running back Mike Davis recently took a visit to Florida State and had nice things to say about the visit. Davis recently decommitted from Florida and is looking at a few schools like Clemson, South Carolina, and Georgia for potential landing spots. Losing Jay Graham will hurt here with Davis as Graham was a tireless recruiter who was involved with a lot of the top running back prospects. South Carolina, though, still looks like a potential landing spot for Davis who plans to make a decision on Signing Day. I think USC looks good here if they can hold off Clemson and Georgia.
- Defensive back Jordan Diggs recently had an in-home visit from head coach Steve Spurrier and Diggs received all the information he needed to here from the Head Ball Coach. Diggs was put at ease in regards to playing the SPUR position for South Carolina, which is a hybrid linebacker/safety position. There is not a whole lot of depth at that position and a talented player like Diggs could see the field very early here at South Carolina. Diggs' father has ties to the university and South Carolina looks to be the leader for right now. Diggs will announce his decision at US Army All-American Game and everything points to South Carolina at this point.
- South Carolina is still in the process of evaluating quarterbacks for the 2013 recruiting class and one of those prospects is Eddie Printz. Printz committed to SMU early in the process but has decided to re-open his recruitment and the Gamecocks are a team in the mix. South Carolina has been extremely selective with this class when it comes to offers for quarterback recruits so Printz will be one of a selected few who could potentially land an offer from USC.
- Things appear to be status quo in regards to defensive back Chaz Elder out of Georgia. This long-time Gamecock lean is still in the process of making his final decision but South Carolina should expect a commitment from this player when it's all said and done.
- The Gamecocks are very much in the thick of it with defensive back Elijah Shumate from New Jersey. He recently took an official visit to Notre Dame with teammate Yuri Wright and was said to have had a good time. Make no mistake though as it looks like Shumate will be a Gamecock in the end. The draw of the South and the SEC appears too much for this talented player.