South Carolina used a solid defense and four touchdown passes from Connor Shaw in order to win their 15th-straight home game by defeating Mississippi State 34-16.
The Gamecock defense picked up five turnovers on the day, including three interceptions, that helped South Carolina pick up 20 points off of those turnovers and enable the Gamecocks shut down a pretty good Mississippi State offense.
Here are some notes and quotes from the Mississippi State game:
- Saturday's win was the Gamecocks seventh-straight win over Mississippi State dating back to 2000. South Carolina owns the all-time series against MSU 9-6.
- Connor Shaw picked up his 23rd win of his career as the Gamecocks starting quarterback, placing him one win behind Todd Ellis and the Gamecock record of 24. Shaw is 23-5 all-time as the Gamecocks starting quarterback and has a record of 14-0 at home.
- Mike Davis became the eighth player in school history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season. He broke that barrier in the third quarter during his 128-yard performance against MSU. It was also the seventh 100-yard game for Davis this season, which puts him third all-time at South Carolina.
- Connor Shaw reached 50 passing touchdowns with his four touchdowns in today's game and is now 12 behind the Gamecocks all-time leader, Steve Taneyhill, at 62 touchdowns.
- Damiere Byrd scored a touchdown for the fourth-straight game with his receiving touchdown against Mississippi State.
- Freshman Chaz Elder and Skai Moore both picked up their first career interceptions against Mississippi State.
- Freshman running back Jamarri Smith got some action late in the game against the Bulldogs. Smith has switched positions a few times since enrolling at Carolina earlier this year but finished the day with four carries for five yards.
"It was a good win. Obviously our offense sputtered, it wasn't a really good day for our offense. I think we need to go back and get a little more physical in practice. It seemed like we were a little too soft and we didn't do too much. Fortunately our defense was there and got some turnovers and we were able to capitalize and score some touchdowns and only have to kick a couple of field goals." -- Steve Spurrier
"We're a pretty good team and it was neat to see our defense rise up and do some very good playing here today." -- Steve Spurrier
"Shaq Roland had an excellent game, I think those were the only two catches he had and we couldn't get the ball to Bruce Ellington today. You wonder why one week you can throw him 10 and the next you can't even throw it at him but that's the way it was sort of happening today." -- Steve Spurrier
"He played ok. He wasn't as sharp as some of his games this year but he felt fine. We had some bad plays too, I kept thinking at home maybe we'd be able to audible." -- Steve Spurrier on Connor Shaw
"I thought Vic played well. Vic has played well the past couple games. We put him in some situations where he knows he is one-on-one with some help. I think his film study is better, and I think he knows what types of routes he is typically going to get in a game." -- Lorenzo Ward
"I think as you get better on defense and guys understand what they are doing, we play faster and when you play faster you can be more physical." -- Lorenzo Ward
"It was good to have four touchdowns on the day. I think we were 4-for-4 in the red zone. I just tried to distribute the ball to our players, and they made plays for us today." -- Connor Shaw
"I told the guys that we have a good group of freshmen that came in and it's going to take some time for them to come around - and they are finally starting to come around. They've been playing, but they are getting their awareness and starting to figure the game out. It's slowing down for them, and they just making plays for the team." -- Jadeveon Clowney
"It means a lot to us, because in practice we've been preaching that we need to make a lot of turnovers and make a lot of plays. So for us to come out there today and do that - it was a big thing. I think it contributed to the win a lot." -- Skai Moore
"Going over a thousand yards, it means a lot. I'm proud of myself, and I am glad I was able to be the eighth person (to do that). It's a great feeling." -- Mike Davis
"You look at what they've done and what Coach Spurrier has been able to do here. It's an early kick-off and it's a sold-out stadium, not an empty seat in the house all the way through the fourth quarter. Their fans are making noise and cheering their team on. They've established and built a program here, and it's something that we're trying to catch up to. It takes everyone to be involved to build a program, and they've got everybody involved. We need to have the same atmosphere as they do right here, week in and week out, for all four quarters and create a hostile environment. It forces other teams into making mistakes, and that's how you win at home and become a contender in the SEC." -- Mississippi State's Dan Mullen