South Carolina: The Garnet Buzz - 2/26
Here's another edition of The Garnet Buzz with a few updates around the net about the Gamecocks and some other interesting tidbits.
- The NCAA moved kickoffs from the 30-yard line to the 35-yard line. This is a move that should benefit most college football teams greatly especially the Gamecocks. USC hasn't had a consistent deep threat from the kickoff specialist position since Ryan Succop so this should help field position for the Gamecocks. It's also a safer move and follows suit with the NFL who moved their kickoffs up as well.
- The Gamecocks fell to Tennessee in basketball Saturday night by a score of 73-64. The Gamecocks are now 2-12 in the SEC and 10-18 overall. There are two games left on the schedule and the possibility is there for the worst SEC record ever for the Gamecocks and a 20-loss season. Look for a lot of questions to be asked this offseason about Darrin Horn.
- The Lady Gamecocks have Senior Day this Sunday and have an opportunity to win their 21st game of the year. It's the last game of the season before the SEC Tournament and USC could add their 10th SEC win today. The seniors being recognized are Markeshia Grant, Courtney Newton, Charenee Stephens, La'Keisha Sutton and Ebony Wilson. This is a strong group that has helped shaped the Gamecock program into a winner this season. Hopefully the younger players will follow their lead and continue to build the right way for Dawn Staley.
- Garnet and Black Attack take a look at why Bruce Pearl is NOT the answer to replace Darrin Horn if he's let go after the end of the season.
- The Gamecocks have beaten Elon twice this weekend in baseball taking the series and will play Sunday to hopefully close out the series sweep. USC was one out away from a no-hitter on Friday night and Saturday night held strong in a late comeback attempt by Elon to win 3-2. Colby Holmes should be on the mound for the Gamecocks.
- WR recruit Tramel Terry is at UGA this weekend for UGA's Junior Day festivities and is among several high-profile prospects in attendance. Terry was once a UGA commitment last summer who decommitted after rushing into the decision. He's still looking at a few schools like USC, UGA and Clemson at the moment.
- ESPN thinks that this upcoming college football season could be a return of the quarterback in the SEC and one of the main reasons why is USC's Connor Shaw. Shaw produced outstanding numbers towards the end of the season and should be primed for a huge 2012 campaign.
This will do it for today's The Garnet Buzz. Just a few news and notes to get you going this Sunday when it comes to the Gamecocks.