It's been awhile since an edition of The Garnet Buzz so today feels like a great day to bring it back.
There has been a lot of news involving the Gamecocks lately especially in the basketball world. Let's take a look at some news and notes from around the internet.
- Frank Martin was introduced as the South Carolina basketball coach on Tuesday. People were asking about his potential staff and one name is already public: Matt Figger. A lot of reports floating around that he has told people that he is coming to Columbia with Frank Martin. People are also speculating that he will bring his whole entire staff with him as well.
- Robert Upshaw was a potential recruit that could follow Frank Martin to Columbia to become a Gamecock. Scratch that idea off the list. Upshaw will not be following Frank Martin after all and will re-evaluate his options now that Martin is moving on. Upshaw is from California so I imagine distance is playing a factor in his decision.
- On the flip side, Martin was recruiting Gamecock recruit Sheldon Jeter to Kansas State so there is already a connection between the two. South Carolina was a reported favorite for Jeter before the firing of head coach Darrin Horn. He's down to several schools now and according to this article, he could decide right before the next signing period that starts on April 11th.
- South Carolina held its Pro Day for athletes who hope to make it to the next level in the NFL on Wednesday. Check out this post from Garnet and Black Attack with some thoughts from the day. Stephen Garcia was a big name from the day and he drew a lot of cheers from the Gamecock Nation in attendance.
- Markeisha Grant is competing in the State Farm Slam Dunk and Three-Point Contest Thursday night in New Orleans. She is taking part in the Women's Three-Point Contest. Grant was a key player in the Gamecocks' run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament. Good luck Markeisha
As always, be sure to follow me on Twitter and Facebook to get updates on South Carolina sports!