South Carolina: The Garnet Buzz - 5/14
The Garnet Buzz is a look around the web at a few different stories sweeping the Gamecock Nation. Let's take a look at a few things currently buzzing around the Gamecocks as we speak:
- Catcher Grayson Greiner has been selected to be a part of the roster for the 2012 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team. Greiner's selection makes that three straight years that the Gamecocks have had a representative on the squad following Jackie Bradley Jr. in 2010 and Christian Walker in 2011. Greiner has certainly had his struggles this year but does have six homeruns and 31 RBI for the Gamecocks. He's a young player who will continue to improve each year and this is another reason why South Carolina baseball is one of the best in the nation. Top talent gets selected to this team and Greiner is another piece in the Gamecocks run to the College World Series.
- Sticking with baseball, South Carolina and Georgia's Game 3 of this past weekend's series was cancelled due to the weather. There was no makeup date announced and it appears the Gamecocks may miss out on a crucial game. They are currently a half game behind Kentucky for first place in the SEC East. South Carolina plays the #9 ranked LSU Tigers in the regular season series finale and that extra game could come in handy if USC doesn't take care of business this weekend. Fighting for a national seed, the Gamecocks need to have a great final week in order to secure a national seed. Will Sunday's game come back to haunt them? Time will tell.
- Former Gamecock Hutch Eckerson signed a deal with the New Orleans Saints. He participated in this past weekend's rookie mini-camp with the Saints. He originally got a chance in 2011 with the San Diego Chargers before being waved before the regular season.
- PalmettoSports.com continues to believe that Brandon Golson will eventually be a Gamecock. This doesn't come as a surprise after Golson has tried to be a Gamecock a few times before now. He's certainly a low risk/high reward type of player that the Gamecocks can take a chance on. He's been able to gain some valuable experience on the junior college level and had 10 sacks in his first year at GMC. South Carolina could use this pass rush specialist at the linebacker position in 2013.
- No word on Gamecock basketball recruit Jordan Dickerson other than he has received his qualifying score and is now able to take official visits and accept scholarship offers. I believe the Gamecocks are in good shape here but a player of this size will certainly draw some attention. Luckily, Frank Martin is on the case and if he wants him, I'm sure he'll do what he can to bring him to Columbia.
- Yesterday, I shared a video of an interview with Steve Spurrier from ABC Columbia. Today, we've got a video of Frank Martin being interviewed as well. Be sure to check it out.
These are just a few news and notes in today's edition of The Garnet Buzz.
South Carolina baseball looks to continue its winning ways with a game against USC Upstate on Tuesday night and then the ever important series against USC to close out the regular season.
Gamecock football recruiting has been quiet after a busy Thursday but there is always a chance a commitment could pop up at any minute. Jordan Dickerson is the main target left for Frank Martin in 2012. Will he be a Gamecock?